Friday 10 April 2020

day 15

Hot cross buns! I love hot cross buns. No bakeries open this Easter so it's 'do it yourself' or miss out.
Fortunately, I purchased a supposedly new breadmaker at the school garage sale for a song several years back but have been a very intermittent bread maker since.  Out of the blue, I made a loaf of fruit bread several weeks prior to lockdown and it was rather doughy, sending me off in search of a remedy resulting in the purchase of some bread improver and gluten flour. My next attempt included a couple of tablespoons of both of these ingredients and voila! - perfect fruit bread!
So, come Easter Friday I made a batch of hot cross buns using the Chelsea Sugar breadmaker recipe but added the milk powder, gluten flour and bread improver in my breadmaker version of the recipe.
The results were almost perfect - although I cooked then for less time than the recipe said, they were a bit overdone on top. Note to self - lower the oven temperature, place lower in the oven, don't brush with anything before cooking and cover with a tea towel as soon as removing from the oven to stop them going crusty. But the bread texture was absolutely perfect! They were the bomb!







However, I would love to try the tangzhong method of bread making. I've read about this over the years and am keen to give it a go. So I did some googling and found a variety of versions so this is on my to-do list, either again while in lockdown or at least next Easter.


No comments:

Post a Comment