Monday 27 April 2020

day 31


Last day of lockdown. For now anyway. Fingers crossed.


Today is New Zealand's last day in full lockdown, which we call her Level 4. The government created 4 levels of lockdown which we will work through until things are 'back to normal' although they never really will be. It's a great system, takes the guesswork of things and is the product of excellent leadership.
Tomorrow we begin Level 3, which is basically Level 4 with benefits. You can shop online, there will be a full delivery service again. You can get takeaways from outlets that have contactless systems. Schools will open for essential workers and those who have to go back to work although we are still encouraged to work from home if we can. At our school of 480 students, we have 20 max coming back. So back to some version of work for me.
Daily posting has been a mission. There is so much I could have said about what I observed in NZ and around the world. This is not a political blog but I do feel the need to have a 'wee rant' to end off my daily posts.
Begin as you mean to end - as I said at the start I am so happy to live in NZ, in a social democracy that cares about people before capitalism. Watching the debacle that is happening in the United States oscillates between watching a comedy show to a fantasy show to a horror movie. The latter is the most appropriate as people continue to die. I' ve been to the US and I've been to China. In China, you can get locked up for disagreeing with the government. In the US you can carry a gun and shoot anyone whom you feel threatens you. In today's 'Covid19' world, I would rather live in China. China's 'market communism' is extremely flawed however from what I saw, there is much more concern for the population as a whole. In 30 years they have worked to house all citizens in 21st Century conditions. What I saw in China was impressive. In my humble opinion, American capitalism is as flawed, dangerous and corrupt as China's communism. The person who leads the US currently - it's a bit like the mosque gunman in NZ - I don't want even utter his name - is a deranged, delusional, narcissistic piece of shite but... America has the president they deserve. The Democratic Party is complicit for electing a 'limp biscuit' like Joe Biden to lead them. Wake up America and look at some of the other world leaders who are navigating this pandemic - Angela Merkel, Justin Trudeau, not to mention Jacinda Ardern. Even some other narcissistic 'old white men' are doing better - Boris and Morrison. They at least have enough inherent intelligence to listen to the scientists.

I could go on, and on, and on. If nothing else this pandemic has helped me understand the American psyche. I think America will implode. It certainly is no longer the so-called 'leader of the free world.' The rest of the world watches in horror. Maybe, hopefully, we will look back in 50 years and see this situation as the tipping point that will bring change to the US and their capitalist model.  That's me being optimistic, I won't be around in 50 years to know.  But I hope the global community learns some lessons from this pandemic and makes some adjustments for the benefit of the planet. Kia kaha everyone, stay strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment